WHAT IS COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT SCHOOL (CDS) ?
The Community Development School is a 3 month, secondary level, training course.
The Community Development School establishes a biblical approach to community transformation for all spheres of society. Beginning with the holistic development of the individual and his or her relationship with God, the principles and practices of this course are designed to enable change in varied settings, from small to large and rural to urban.
Participants in the course will be trained to initiate and accomplish strategic activities within their target communities, with the ultimate goal of bringing life and growth according to God’s purposes.
Provide an overview of the principles involved in helping communities be transformed towards God’s intentions.
>> LECTURE FEE: S$3,500 (with lodging) S$2,800 (without lodging)
>> OUTREACH FEE: S$3,000 (may vary depending on location)
>> Successful completion of DTS
>> Proficient in English
>> Recommendations from your Senior Pastor/Missions Board
The 12 week lecture phase targets the equipping and personal growth of participants, through training in a biblical approach to community transformation. Training consists of lectures, group discussions, individual and group projects, workshops, personal study, field trips, hands-on participatory activities in the local community, and a possible mini-outreach within the region.
Outreach Phase (Field Assignment):
The 8-12 week field assignment (optional) embeds participants within existing, long term, development locations for practical observation and applications of learned principles. Participants report to both an on-site mentor and a CD staff member throughout the assignment. A debriefing session is offered at the end of the assignment for personal processing and assessment of lessons learned.
Core Course Option: YWAM Singapore is offering the first four weeks of the school as a limited "core course" option. Training in the first four weeks will focus on Principles of Community Development, Biblical Worldview, Cross-cultural communication, Church Planting and Networking.
REGISTER FOR CORE COURSE
Based on the principles of Being (character and values), Knowing (understanding and wisdom), and Doing (skills, abilities, and application), the Community Development School offers training for:
1. Building an integrated approach to ministry under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
2. Comprehending and applying principles of relationship found to be crucial for the development of a healthy community (including approaches to reconciliation and cross cultural understanding)
3. Developing and internalizing a Biblical Christian Worldview with the associated critical thinking and application skills found necessary for establishing a Biblical approach to community development.
4. Understanding and pursuing God's intentions for workers in His Kingdom by strengthening areas of intimacy with God, personal transformation, acting as an agent for change, etc.
5. Developing basic competencies for service as a development worker, including, skills in facilitation, assessment, participatory action, research, planning, implementation, evaluation and monitoring of goals, actions and results within the transformation process.
6. Connecting and relating to various support systems and networks within a chosen community or sphere.
LECTURE TOPICS INCLUDE:
• Biblical Worldview & Development
• Principles of Community Transformation
• Church Planting & Networking
• Assessment & Planning
• Appropriate Technology
• Knowing the Land-Prayer and Development
• Proposal Writing
• The Arts & Urban Development
• Stewardship & the Environment
• Community Engagement-SEED Projects
• Cross Culture Communication & Conflict Transformation